Thursday

Contract Workers are happier than Permanent Workers?

Permanent employees often argue that contract work would be too stressful, given the lack of long-term career stability. However, a survey of contract workers suggests that being on a contract doesn’t mean not enjoying your job.




Of the 2011 data, based on a survey of 375 workers and conducted by Monash University researcher Dr Tui McKeown, the page that jumped out at me discussed wellbeing. Here are the key statements that were offered and the main responses, all of which suggest that independent contractors are getting a lot of pleasure out of their careers:
  • At my work, I am bursting with energy. 29% said this happened “often” and 38% said “very often”.
  • At my job, I feel strong and vigorous. Similar numbers: 28% went for often and 37% for very often.
  • I am enthusiastic about my job. Again, the same pattern: 23% said often and 39% very often (and 22% went for “always”).
  • My job inspires me. 14% plumped for always, 29% for very often and 26% for often.
  • When I get up in the morning, I feel like going to work. The most common choice was very often, picked by 33%.
  • I feel happy when I am working intensively. 38% went for very often, and 27% for always.
  • I am proud of the work that I do. Similar numbers again: 34% said always and 38% said very often.

    Blog Archive